Dutch tax return in the Netherlands 2017

If you live or work in the Netherlands you will have to pay tax on your income.

If you are an employee your employer will already withhold wage tax every month. If the withholding has been too high, or if you have certain deductions, you can claim a refund by filing a tax return.

Invitation to file your tax return

The tax authorities can invite you to file a tax return if they are aware that you are entitled to a refund. Or if you will have to pay additional tax because you have income which have not been taxed yet. The invitations to file a tax return are normally sent in the first months following the calendar year. The invitation will mention the deadline before which the tax return must be filed. Often the deadline is May 1.

If you did not live in the Netherlands the entire year, the deadline is set at a later date. Normally July 1. The deadline can easily be extended. If you don’t receive an invitation, you can still file a tax return. It is possible to file a tax return for the previous 5 years.

There are different type of forms:

  • P form: tax return for private individuals;
  • C form: tax return for foreign residents with income from the Netherlands;
  • M form: tax return in the year of migration;
  • O form: tax return for business owners and freelancers.

All the tax forms, except the M form, have to be filed electronically.

When to file a tax return?

Filing a tax return can be beneficial for example:

  • if you did not work in the Netherlands for the whole year;
  • if you can claim certain deductions like education cost or mortgage interest related to your principle residence;
  • if you are a partner without income;
  • if you have a child.

Make sure you claim the refund you are entitled to and that you file a tax return if you are invited to do so by the Dutch tax authorities. Ignoring the invitation can lead to an estimated taxable income and to a large fine.

Assistance with your tax return

WeAreLawyers is happy to assist you with your tax return. Please call us at 020 210 11 99 or mail at

Contact us: